Kyra Buckley (BA, 2016)

The best part about learning Arabic is the people you meet. Here in Eugene I have studied with some of the most amazing teachers—teachers willing to go above and beyond to help their students succeed. In summer of 2014 I studied in Oman. I was blown away by the kindness and hospitality I was shown, and the astounding culture I was exposed to.

How has the study of Arabic been important for your life and career?

I am a Jazzercise instructor. Think that has nothing to do with Arabic? I have to memorize 16 routines per class, and they rotate from week to week. My memorization skills are so advanced, it takes little time at all. Experience giving presentations in Arabic class boosted my stage presence and confidence. Plus, every once in a while I impress my Jazzercise students by counting in Arabic or sharing an Arabic phrase!

I am also a reporter at Eugene’s local NPR station. Learning about Arabic culture has enhanced my genuine curiosity about the world around me, and has increased my sensitivity to all cultures.

What has learning Arabic meant for your growth as a person?

Studying Arabic makes my life richer every day. It has sharpened my critical thinking skills, improved my memory and memorization skills, grown my confidence, and even advanced my English skills. As I shift from college into the working world I know that the discipline and focus I developed while in Arabic class will seep into everything I do.