Emily Stokes (BA, 2011)

Emily graduated in 2011 from the International Studies program with concentrations in the Middle East and Peace Studies, Human Rights, and Conflict resolution. Since graduating from UO, she has worked in the field of International Education at INTO Oregon State University. In 2014, she received a Master of Arts in International Education Management from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at
Monterey, which was preceded by a summer in Middlebury College’s Intensive Arabic Language Program. Her work at INTO OSU includes proposing, designing and coordinating programs for international students from all over the world.

How has the study of Arabic been important for your life and career?

My Arabic studies have had a major impact on my career trajectory. My language skills have greatly added to what I am able to do within the field of international education; including helping new international students adjust to life in the US, and even travel abroad to recruit new international students from all over the Arab world. There are very specific opportunities I would have missed without having Arabic language skills.

What has learning Arabic meant to you personally?

Learning Arabic has meant the ability to better understand an often misunderstood culture and region. It has allowed me to make lifelong friendships with others across the globe, enriching my personal and professional life. I have loved having the ability to communicate with other Arabic speakers on a deeper level because of my language abilities.