Zane Hager (BA, 2011)

Zane Kessler Hager is currently pursuing a Masters Degree in Conflict and Dispute Resolution at the U of O Law School and works as a GTF in the Religious Studies Department. He studied Arabic for 3 years as an undergraduate and plans (hopes) to use that knowledge as a Foreign Service Officer with the U.S. Department of State.

How has the study of Arabic been important for your life and career?

Arabic was something that I took on a whim as a freshman that ended up defining my academic career. I initially just wanted to learn how to write in what I thought was a cool-looking script. Three years of Arabic later I realized that the language was an entryway into the whole fascinating world of Islam, religious studies and international politics. I’m working now to apply that interest and focus towards a job in international politics.

What has learning Arabic meant to you personally?

Personally, studying Arabic was an enormous challenge. Arabic 201 is the only class I’ve ever flunked. Recovering from that, getting back on the horse, was a surprisingly important experience for me. Arabic is a hard language to learn, and my struggle to do so helped me realize that getting a good grade is not the same thing as getting a good education. I figured out that I wanted to learn the language, and even though my natural facility to do so was limited, pursuing something that I cared about for reasons beyond getting a grade was really valuable to me.